Massage therapy helps to promote healing. Massage is shown to increase metabolism, hasten healing, relax and refresh the muscles, and improve the detoxifying function of the lymphatic system. Massage helps to prevent and relieve muscle cramps and spasms and improve circulation of blood and lymph. Furthermore, research conducted at the University of Texas has shown that when the brain is under stress, it produces an excess of the hormone ACTH, which inhibits the manufacture of white blood cells that are necessary in fighting disease. People who receive Swedish massage regularly produce a type of cell called lymphocytes. Lymphocytes help to improve long-term health, reducing sick time.
Massage has proven benefits that aid in:
- Reducing heart rate and blood pressure with regular relaxation massage
- Increasing joint mobility and flexibility
- Elevating levels of serotonin and endorphins, enhancing medical treatment
- Relieving many common symptoms of headaches, backaches, and muscle tension
- Improving circulation
- Increases Increasing mental alertness and clarity
- Decreasing symptoms of depression
- Relieving anxiety
- Relieving stress
- Addressing symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and overuse from workplace injuries
- Enhancing relaxation
- Improving immune function
- Promoting body awareness
- Reducing pain.